WHY EXERCISE THE LUNGS?
- Data reveals a 50% loss in lung function between the ages of 30 and 70, which is considered a “normal" ageing effect.
- Those using their lungs in more extraordinary ways (horn players, opera singers, breath hold divers, etc.) appear to have less of an “ageing" effect"
- It might be concluded that certain lung activities reduce the loss of lung function that is assumed to be “normal” with aging.
- Aerobic endurance exercise which benefits the heart and general fitness does not significantly benefit the lungs.
- “Lung-specific" exercise may reduce the “normal ageing affect" of the lungs